Cascapedia-St Jules of the Past
Cascapedia-St-Jules was two distinct communities until 1999 when they joined together to become one. At one time the village had three small grocery stores, a bank, post office, schools, a flour mill, lumber, and sawmills. The population around this time was over 1000 people. By the late 1800s there were no less than eighteen post offices in the Cascapedia Bay. A catholic church was built in 1899 in the community of St-Jules and was recognized as a parish in 1901. The church burnt in 1912, but was quickly rebuilt. Then in 1946 it was hit by lightening and once again burned. The protestant church was also established during this time. The influence of both churches caused mixed feelings among the people. At the time the residents of Cascapedia were protestant and the residents of St-Jules were catholic. The first telephones were installed around 1909. There was also a butter factory situated near Stewart alley in Cascapedia and it was a cooperative started by several local farmers.